Here in Cajun Country, Cajuns have always loved their fricassee or stewing, These meals are served with white rice with your favorite sides, here at "Cajun in a Box" it's your choice. So ;lets cook some crab fricassee, lets do our prep while the the fricassee is simmering, take your large dutch oven and brown your tomato paste over a medium heat, whisk in your 1/4 pd melted butter, add your 2 cups of stock. Cook for 10 minutes, as your sauce is simmering add the trinity & your favorite amount of minced garlic, (I believe garlic is a personnel thing) simmering 10 minutes longer. Add your worcestershire sauce, sugar, bay leaf, and your halved crabs & simmer an hour, as always watch your heat, add a little water or stock to keep the sauce from getting to thick or thin.
We'll season to taste,this is when you build you sauce, flavor it up just the way you like, with the sauce spreading over your plate of rice oh so pretty. Now that's done, we will add in our crab meat, carefully , some say fold it in!
work your sauce to suit you and cook no more than 5 minutes, having prepared all your sides, and other meal items, Dish your She crab, fricassee, over hot rice, and enjoy all the people you must love, that you cooked this delicious meal for!
- 1 1/2 pds lumpcrabmeat.
- 1 dozen small crabs, cleaned & halved
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 pound melted butter, unsalted
- 2 8oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups hot water or shellfish stock.
- 2 cups of diced onions,
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 1/2 cup of diced bell pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic, or to taste
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce, even a tbsp is a mouth full
- 2 tbsps sugar, cane sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & black pepper to taste,
- a little caynne pepper to taste, take this addition slowly.